Items at a glance
GENERAL STUDIES II
- India Myanmar Thailand Trilateral Highway.
GENERAL STUDIES III
- India To Be Third Largest Aviation Market.
- Maps Of India Portal.
FACTS FOR PRELIMS
- Women Of India Organic Festival.
- Vigilance Awareness Week.
- World Agriculture Prize.
GENERAL STUDIES II
- India and its neighborhood- relations.
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
INDIA MYANMAR THAILAND TRILATERAL HIGHWAY
- Union Ministry of Road and Transport discusses the progress of India Myanmar Transport Connectivity projects.
India Myanmar Thailand Trilateral Highway
- The India–Myanmar–Thailand Trilateral Highway is a highway under construction under India’s Look East policy that will connect Moreh, India with Mae Sot, Thailand via Myanmar.
- The road is expected to boost trade and commerce in the ASEAN–India Free Trade Area, as well as with the rest of Southeast Asia.
- India has also proposed extending the highway to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.
- The proposed approx 3,200 km (2,000 mi) route from India to Vietnam is known as the East-West Economic Corridor (Thailand to Cambodia and Vietnam became operational in 2015).
- This highway will also connect to the river ports being developed along the way at Kale (also called Kalemyo) and Monywa on Chindwin River.
- Shri Nitin Gadkari discusses Progress of India – Myanmar Transport Connectivity Projects with his Myanmar Counterpart Mr U Thant Sin Maung.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1550893
GENERAL STUDIES II
- Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
INDIA TO BE THIRD LARGEST AVIATION MARKET
- India is set to be the third largest civil aviation market.
- India will be the third largest aviation market globally a year sooner than was earlier predicted.
- It is now expected to be among the top three countries by 2024 from its current seventh position, according to global aviation body IATA.
- In its latest 20-year forecast for the aviation industry, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) says that air passenger numbers worldwide could double to 8.2 billion in 2037.
- Asian wave:
- The biggest contribution in this growth will come from the Asia-Pacific region, which will account for half the total number of new passengers over the next 20 years.
- China will climb up one spot to displace the US as the world’s largest aviation market in the mid-2020s.
- In fact, the Asia-Pacific region is expected to see the fastest growth at the rate of 4.8%, followed by Africa (4.6%) and West Asia (4.4%).
- The other south-east Asian countries predicted to grow rapidly include Indonesia, likely to be the fourth largest by 2030 from its current ranking of the 10th largest aviation market.
- Thailand, too, is expected to enter the top 10 markets in 2030.
- India set to be the third largest aviation market.
- Link: https://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/india-set-to-be-third-largest-aviation-market/article25325717.ece
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
MAPS OF INDIA PORTAL
- Portal where people can share images of rare animals online.
- Scientists and researchers from the National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS) in Bangalore have come up with a new citizen-science repository on Indian mammals, called Mammals of India (MaOI).
- It is an online, peer-reviewed, freely-accessible portal that was launched in late September 2018.
- The photographs will not only help gather information on the distribution of the various species but also interactions between different species of mammals, like predation and mutualism.
- The website, mammalsofindia.org, aims to develop individual species pages for all Indian mammals with information on identification, variation, distribution, breeding and non-breeding ecology and species conservation.
- The website provides an opportunity for any person to upload geotagged photographic observations about mammals with information on habitat age of the observed individual.
- Over time, these observations will be reviewed by subject experts and uploaded on the website.
- Organisers behind the initiative said that MaOI is a part of the Biodiversity Atlas (India project), which is an initiative of Krushnamegh Kunte, associate professor at NCBS.
- The aim, shoot for a citizen-science repository of Indian mammals.
- Link: https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energy-and-environment/aim-shoot-for-a-citizen-science-repository-of-indian-mammals/article25325705.ece
FACTS FOR PRELIMS
WOMEN OF INDIA ORGANIC FESTIVAL
- The 5th edition of the ‘Women of India National Organic Festival’ was inaugurated by Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, Union Minister for Women and Child Development.
- The Festival celebrates and promotes women entrepreneurs/producers and farmers in the organic field from across India.
- This year’s edition is the largest ever and has a large vegan section as well as a food court.
- The participants are being encouraged to sell their products on a long-term basis on WCD Ministry’s e-marketing portal Mahila-e-Haat, she added.
- Maneka Sanjay Gandhi Inaugurates the 5th Edition of ‘Women of India National Organic Festival’ in New Delhi.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1550889
VIGILANCE AWARENESS WEEK
- The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) observes the Vigilance Awareness Week every year during the week in which the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (31st October) falls.
- This week, through its various outreach activities, it seeks to motivate stakeholders to collectively participate in the fight against corruption and also aims at raising public awareness regarding the detrimental consequences of corruption.
- This year, the Vigilance Awareness Week is being observed from 29th October to 3rd November, 2018 on the theme “Eradicate Corruption-Build a New India”.
- Vigilance Awareness Week 2018 to be observed from 29th Oct-3rd Nov.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1550839
WORLD AGRICULTURE PRIZE
- Agricultural scientist M.S. Swaminathan will receive the first World Agriculture Prize instituted by the Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA).
- The prize will be presented by Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu at Vigyan Bhawan at a special session, named Swaminathan Global Dialogue on Climate Change and Food Security organised by the Indian Council of Food and Agriculture.
- Recognised worldwide for his basic and applied research in genetics, cytogenetics, radiation and chemical mutagenesis, food and biodiversity conservation, Prof. Swaminathan has been hailed by the United Nations Environment Programme as ‘The Father of Economic Ecology’ owing to his commitment towards the ever-green revolution movement in agriculture.
- World Agriculture Prize:
- The prize has been instituted by the ICFA with an aim to recognise individuals who have served humanity through agriculture.
- It will carry a cash component of $1,00,000.
- It will be an annual prize and would be presented to any individual or institution, importantly from Asian, African or Latin American countries who have played a seminal role in transforming agriculture globally and saving humanity from the curse of hunger, the release said.
- S. Swaminathan to be awarded World Agriculture Prize.
- Link: https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/ms-swaminathan-to-be-awarded-world-agriculture-prize/article25304038.ece