Items at a glance
GENERAL STUDIES I
- Sangai Festival.
GENERAL STUDIES II
- Sub categorization Of Other Backward Communities.
GENERAL STUDIES III
- NSE Go Bid Mobile App.
- Atal Innovation Mission.
- IGLA S Missile System.
FACTS FOR PRELIMS
- Global Findex Report.
GENERAL STUDIES I
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Sangai festival begins in Manipur.
- Sangai festival is an annual cultural festival organised by Manipur Tourism Department every year in the month of November.
- Even though many editions of this Festival has been celebrated over the past few years with the name of Tourism Festival, since 2010 this has been renamed as the Sangai Festival to stage the uniqueness of the shy and gentle brow-antlered deer popularly known as the Sangai Deer.
- The Manipur Sangai Festival, a platform to showcase the rich cultural heritage of the state.
- The Sangai festival since its inception has become the biggest socio-cultural event of Manipur.
- Unlike previous years, this time, the fest is being organised at five venues including Imphal and other hill districts of Manipur.
- The Sangai is an endemic and endangered subspecies of brow-antlered deer found only in Manipur, India.
- It is also the state animal of Manipur.
- Its original natural habitat is the floating marshy grasslands of the Keibul Lamjao National Park, located in the southern parts of the Loktak Lake.
- IUCN Status: Endangered.
- Manipur Sangai Festival underway; Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurates the 10-day fest.
- Link: https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/art-and-culture/manipur-sangai-festival-defence-minister-nirmala-sitharaman-inaugurates-5459584/
GENERAL STUDIES II
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
SUBCATEGORIZATION OF OTHER BACKWARD COMMUNITIES
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the extension of the term of the Commission to examine the issue of Sub-categorization of OBC’s.
- Sub categorisation of OBC’s:
- To create ‘quota within quota’, the Union Cabinet has set up of a commission to examine the matter of sub-categorisation of Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
- The commission, to be set up under Article 340 of the Constitution, will identify the respective castes/communities/sub-castes/synonyms in the Central list and classify them into sub-categories.
- Terms of reference of the Commission are as under :
- To examine the extent of inequitable distribution of benefits of reservation among the castes or communities included in the broad category of Other Backward Classes with reference to such classes included in the Central List.
- To work out the mechanism, criteria, norms and parameters in a scientific approach for sub-categorisation within such Other Backward Classes.
- To take up the exercise of identifying the respective castes or communities or sub-castes or synonyms in the Central List of Other Backward Classes and classifying them into their respective sub-categories.
- Why sub categorisation of OBC’s are important?
- Sub categorization of the OBCs will ensure that the more backward among the OBC communities can also access the benefits of reservation for educational institutions and government jobs.
- While expanding social justice to those who have yet failed to benefit from the OBC quota is one stated goal behind the move.
- Cabinet approves extension of the term of the Commission to examine the issue of Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes in the Central List till 31st May 2019.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1553422
GENERAL STUDIES III
- Economy and related aspects.
NSE GO BID MOBILE APP
- NSE Go Bid mobile app has been launched.
NSE Go BID Mobile app
- In a bid to make it easier for retail investors to invest in government bonds directly, the National Stock Exchange has offered a mobile application and web-based platform :“NSE go BID” (Government Bond Investment Destination).
- NSE goBID” and web-based platform for investing in government securities will be available to all investors registered with trading members of NSE.
- The NSE goBID facility aims to provide a common platform for all members of the exchange and to enable their clients/investors to participate directly in non-competitive bidding in a seamless manner.
- The facility will be available via a web link and also on NSE goBID mobile app, for mobile phones with Android 4.4 version and above.
- NSE goBID will offer a ready infrastructure to the trading members of the NSE for order collection, payment, refunds, transfer of bonds.
- Investing in govt bonds made easier: NSE launches goBID mobile app to buy, sell G-Secs.
- Link: https://www.financialexpress.com/market/nse-makes-investing-in-government-bonds-easier-for-retail-investors-offers-mobile-app-nse-gobid/1386004/
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life.
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
ATAL INNOVATION MISSION
- MOU was signed between Atal Innovation Mission and Fund “Talent and Success” Russia.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister has been apprised of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Atal Innovation Mission, India and Fund “Talent and Success”.
- MoU was aimed at promotion of science & technology, strong foundation to the collaborative work through exchange of students, teachers, researchers and scientists between both countries.
- Important benefits:
- The MoU will facilitate promotion of science & technology, strong foundation to the collaborative work through exchange of students, teachers, researchers and scientists between India and Russia.
- Major impact:
- MOU will provide a mechanism in taking part in establishing relationships with-schools, universities, cultural institutions, science & technology and specialized education institutions, high-tech companies, start-ups and innovation centers in both countries.
- The activities are expected to promote creation of new scientific knowledge, generation of intellectual property, innovations and products development in both countries.
Atal Innovation Mission
- The Atal Innovation mission is Government of India’s flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
- It was set up by the Niti Ayog after a detailed study and deliberations on innovation and entrepreneurial needs of country in the years to come.
- AIM is mandated to create an umbrella structure and would play an instrumental role in alignment of innovation policies between central, state and sectoral innovation schemes incentivizing the establishment and promotion of an ecosystem of innovation and entrepreneurship at various levels.
Atal Innovation Mission has two core functions
- Entrepreneurship promotion: Through self-employment and talent utilization, wherein innovators would be supported and mentored to become successful entrepreneurs.
- Innovation promotion: To provide a platform where innovative ideas are generated.
To promote innovation, the innovation promotion programme has two sub components :
- Atal Tinkering labs : To promote creative, innovative mind-set in schools.
- Atal Incubators : Promoting entrepreneurship in universities and industr
- Cabinet appraised of the MoU between Atal Innovation Mission, India and Fund “Talent and Success”, Russia for promotion of science & technology.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1553414
- Internal security and related aspects.
IGLA-S MISSILE SYSTEM
- Defence ministry’s air missile contract to Russia sparks vendor protests.
- After a series of delays, Russia has been declared the lowest bidder in the Army’s multi-billion dollar deal for man portable air defence systems.
- The major concern is the US sanctions under the Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) law that restricts defence purchases from Russia, Iran and North Korea.
- The US is yet to grant India a waiver for the $5.43 bn S-400 air defence deal with Russia signed in early October.
- As per requirements, the system should have a maximum range of 6km, altitude of 3km along with all-weather capability.
- It will replace the existing Igla in service which is in urgent need of replacement.
IGLA -S missile system
- The Igla-S man-portable air defence missile system (MANPADS) is designed to engage all types of visually observable aircraft and helicopters.
- It helps to pinpoint air targets like cruise missiles and unmanned air vehicles, both head-on and receding, at any time of day.
- The Igla-S is a new generation advanced version of the Igla MANPADS.
- Army zeroes in on Russian Igla-S missile.
- Link: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/army-zeroes-in-on-russian-igla-s-missile/article25540891.ece
FACTS FOR PRELIMS
GLOBAL FINDEX REPORT
- Published by : World bank.
- The Global Findex database is the world’s most comprehensive data set on how adults save, borrow, make payments, and manage risk.
- Launched with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the database has been published every three years since 2011.
- Global Findex report.
- Source: Indian express.