Items at a glance
GENERAL STUDIES I
- Swadesh Darshan Scheme.
GENERAL STUDIES II
- Leap Programme And ARPIT Programme.
GENERAL STUDIES III
- Mega Food Park Scheme.
- GSLV MK III- D2.
FACTS FOR PRELIMS
- Bhuvan Ganga Geoportal.
GENERAL STUDIES I
- Tourism and related aspects.
SWADESH DARSHAN SCHEME
- Two important projects under Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India were inaugurated at PTSO Lake in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh.
Swadesh Darshan scheme
- The Swadesh Darshan scheme is one of the flagship schemes of Ministry of Tourism for development of thematic circuits in the country in a planned and prioritised manner.
- The scheme was launched in 2014 -15 and as on date, the Ministry has sanctioned 70 projects for Rs.5708.88 Crore to 29 States and UTs under the Scheme.
- Under the Swadesh Darshan scheme, thirteen thematic circuits have been identified, for development namely:
- North-East India Circuit,
- Buddhist Circuit,
- Himalayan Circuit,
- Coastal Circuit, Krishna Circuit,
- Desert Circuit,
- Tribal Circuit,
- Eco Circuit,
- Wildlife Circuit,
- Rural Circuit,
- Spiritual Circuit,
- Ramayana Circuit and Heritage Circuit.
- Two important North East Circuits under Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Central Tourism Ministry inaugurated in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1552846
GENERAL STUDIES II
- Issues relating to the development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
LEAP PROGRAMME AND ARPIT PROGRAMME
- Minister of State, Ministry of Human Resource Development, launched two new initiatives; Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) and Annual Refresher Programme In Teaching (ARPIT).
Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP)
- Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) is a three weeks Flagship leadership development training programme for second level academic functionaries in publicly funded higher education institutions.
- The main objective is to prepare the second tier academic heads who are potentially likely to assume leadership roles in the future.
- The programme would provide senior faculty, with high academic credentials, the required leadership and managerial skills including skills of problem-solving, handling stress, team building work, conflict management, developing communication skills, understanding and coping with the complexity and challenges of governance in HEIs, financial & general administration.
- The implementation of LEAP Programme will be through 15 NIRF top ranked Indian Institutions.
- The foreign Universities identified for the training are also within the top 100 in the world global rankings.
Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT)
- Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT), a major and unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty using the MOOCs platform SWAYAM.
- For implementing ARPIT, 75 discipline-specific institutions have been identified and notified as National Resource Centres.
- In the first phase, the identified National Resource Centres are tasked to prepare online training material with a focus on latest developments in the discipline, new & emerging trends, pedagogical improvements and methodologies for transacting revised curriculum.
- Satya Pal Singh Launches Leadership for Academicians Program (LEAP) and Annual Refresher Programme In Teaching (ARPIT) for higher education faculty.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1552606
GENERAL STUDIES III
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
MEGA FOOD PARK SCHEME
- Union Minister for Food Processing Industries inaugurated the second Mega Food Park in Maharashtra.
Mega food park scheme
- The Scheme of Mega Food Park aims at providing a mechanism to link agricultural production to the market by bringing together farmers, processors and retailers so as to ensure maximizing value addition, minimizing wastage, increasing farmers income and creating employment opportunities, particularly in the rural sector.
- The Mega Food Park Scheme is based on “Cluster” approach and envisages the creation of state of art support infrastructure in a well-defined agri / horticultural zone for setting up of modern food processing units in the industrial plots provided in the park with a well-established supply chain.
- Mega food park typically consists of supply chain infrastructure including collection centers, primary processing centers, central processing centers, cold chain and around 30-35 fully developed plots for entrepreneurs to set up food processing units.
- The Mega Food Park project is implemented by a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) which is a Body Corporate registered under the Companies Act.
- State Government, State Government entities and Cooperatives are not required to form a separate SPV for implementation of Mega Food Park project
- Union Minister Smt Harsimrat Badal inaugurates M/s Paithan Mega Food Park in Aurangabad District in Maharashtra.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1552807
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life.
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
GSLV MK III- D2
- ISRO successfully launches GSLV MK III -D2 carrying GSAT 29 satellite.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation has successfully placed another communication satellite GSAT 29.
- The successful launch of GSLV MK III D2 rocket is a major boost to the upcoming two missions: Chandrayaan-2 and manned mission.
- Communication satellite GSAT 29 is designed for a mission life of 10 years.
- The three-axis body stabilised multibeam satellite consists of two high throughput communication transponders which will meet the communication requirements of the users, especially in remote areas.
- GSAT 29 is among the highly advanced version of communication satellite planned by ISRO.
- The other two missions in the pipeline are GSAT- 11 and GSAT 20 which is likely to be launched in 2020.
- These satellites will immensely contribute to the country’s digital aspirations by providing high-speed internet connectivity in the country and bridging gaps between cities and hinterland.
- Prime Minister recently congratulates ISRO scientists on the successful launch of GSLV MK III-D2.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1552768
FACTS FOR PRELIMS
- NavIC (‘Navigation with Indian Constellation’ whose English meaning is ‘sailor’ or navigator), is designed to provide accurate position information to users within the country.
- It will help India enter the club of select countries which have their own positioning systems.
- Besides America’s GPS (with 24 satellites in a constellation), Russia has its GLONASS and European Union its Galileo.
- China is also in the process of building a Beidou Navigation satellite system
- 15,000 shipping vessel to get NAVIC.
- Link: https://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-kerala/navic-to-guide-fishing-boats/article22290530.ece
BHUVAN GANGA GEOPORTAL
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) organized a brainstorming session on World GIS Day 2018, with the theme ‘G-Governance of Namami Gange programme through Geospatial Technology’
Bhuvan Ganga Portal
- Bhuvan Ganga Geoportal is available for water quality monitoring, hydrological monitoring, geomorphological monitoring, bio-resources monitoring, and comprehensive geospatial database.
- Bhuvan Ganga mobile application is a user-friendly application to enable user/public to collect and report information on various pollution sources that affect the water quality of River Ganga.
- The mobile application has a provision to collect information regarding urban sewage, semi-urban/rural sewage, natural drains/nallas, industrial wastewater, solid waste disposal or any other pollution source.
- NMCG brainstorms on G-governance of Namami Gange programme through Geospatial technology.
- Link: http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1552806