1. News relating to CERN has been trending as they came up with the first ever 3-D colour X-ray on humans.
i. It is located in the French-Swiss border near Geneva.
ii. Higgs-Boson is a new state of matter discovered by CERN.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
a. i only
b. ii only
c. Both i and ii
d. Neither i nor ii
Answer : a
• European Council for Nuclear Research/ CERN’s main area of research is particle physics – the study of the fundamental constituents of matter and the forces acting between them.
• The Higgs boson is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is not a new state of matter. It is discovered using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) experiment (27-km LHC is the world’s largest particle accelerator).
2. Consider the following statements regarding ‘Sendai framework’.
i. It is an international treaty that defines a framework for diplomatic relations between independent countries.
ii. It is a voluntary and non-binding treaty.
iii. UNISDR is responsible for the implementation, follow-up and review of the Sendai Framework.
iv. It involves capacity building of participants to utilise defined indicators to monitor progress of Sendai targets.
Choose the statements that is/are correct.
a. i only
b. ii & iv
c. ii & iii
d. ii, iii & iv
Answer : d
• Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR) is an international Treaty that was approved by UN member states in March 2015 at Third World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction held in Sendai, Japan. It is voluntary and non-binding treaty.
• The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, 1961 is an international treaty that defines a framework for diplomatic relations between independent countries. It covers the immunity (from the host country’s laws), provided to the diplomatic missions.
3. Which of the following statements regarding ‘Project Dhoop’ is correct?
a. It is launched by Food Corporation of India for promoting food fortification initiatives.
b. It aims to address rising incidence of Vitamin D deficiencies among the young people.
c. It is to ensure safety and hygiene at fish handling and distribution centres especially formalin contamination.
d. It is a project to address the issues related to irrigation on agriculture.
Answer : b
• Project Dhoop, launched by FSSAI along with National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
• It aims to address rising incidence of Vitamin D deficiencies among the young people. The project aims to encourage schools to shift their morning assembly to around noon-time, mainly between 11 am to 1 pm to ensure maximum absorption of Vitamin D in students through natural sunlight.
4. Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) has been trending in news recently. What are implications to India if it is being signed with USA?
I. It will give US, access to Indian civilian telecommunication systems.
II. Violation of India’s sovereignty.
III. It may affect India-Russia relations.
Choose the statements that is/are incorrect.
a. I only
b. I & II
c. I & III
d. All the above.
Answer : a
• Signing COMCASA will give America access to Indian military communication system
5. Which of the following statements related to the revolutionary gene-editing tool ‘CRISPR Cas9’ are correct?
I. It allows to target any genomic location and potentially repair broken genes.
II. Gene editing can cause excessive mutation inside the body of an organism.
III. Cas9 is a collection of DNA sequences and CRISPR is an enzyme that can edit DNA.
IV. CRISPR Cas9 technology can be used only to add specific DNA sequence in the genome of higher organisms.
Choose the correct option.
a. III & IV only
b. I, II, III & IV
c. I & II only
d. III only
Answer : c
• CRISPR short form of Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats.
• It allows scientists to selectively edit genome parts and replace them with new DNA stretches (not only to add).
• CRISPR is a collection of DNA sequences that direct Cas9 where to cut and paste. Cas9 is an enzyme that can edit DNA.