1) Consider the following statements regarding the Aspirational Districts Programme.
I) Under this, the Union Government had selected 115 backward districts for rapid transformation by 2022
II) It envisages the rapid development of selected districts on basis of a composite index based on five parameters
III) e-Mitra app has been designed to complement the Aspirational District Programme and offers one-stop solutions
Identify the correct options from among the codes:
a) Only 1 & 2
b) Only 2 & 3
c) Only 1 & 3
d) 1, 2 & 3
• Aspirational districts programme was launched by the Hon’ble PM in January. The ‘Transformation of Aspirational Districts’ programme aims to quickly and effectively transform these districts.
• The broad contours of the programme are Convergence (of Central & State Schemes), Collaboration (of Central, State level ‘Prabhari’ Officers & District Collectors), and Competition among districts driven by a Mass Movement.
• With States as the main drivers, this program will focus on the strength of each district, identify low-hanging fruits for immediate improvement, measure progress, and rank districts.
• The Government is committed to raising the living standards of its citizens and ensuring inclusive growth for all – “Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas”.
• Health & Nutrition, Education, Agriculture & Water Resources, Financial Inclusion & Skill Development, and Basic Infrastructure are this programme’s core areas of focus.
• The e-Mitra (Mobile Integrated Toolkit RMNCH+A) app has been designed to complement the Aspirational District Programme and offers one-stop solution to access RMNCH+A (The Reproductive Maternal Newborn Child and Adolescent Health) related statistics from different sources
2) The UNCITRAL Model Law recommended by Insolvency Law Committee (ILC) constituted by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs is concerned with
a) Cross-border insolvency framework
b) Corporate governance
c) Fugitive Economic Offenders
d) None of the above
• The Insolvency Law Committee (ILC) constituted by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs to recommend amendments to Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code of India, 2016 has submitted its 2nd Report to the Government, which deals with cross-border insolvency.
• India should adopt the UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency, 1997 for its cross-border insolvency framework, a Government-appointed Panel has recommended.
• This recommendation formed part of the second report of the Insolvency Law Committee, headed by Corporate Affairs Secretary Injeti Srinivas, submitted to Finance Minister.
• The ILC has recommended the adoption of the UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency, 1997, as it provides for a comprehensive framework to deal with cross-border insolvency issues.
• The Committee has also recommended a few carve-outs to ensure that there is no inconsistency between the domestic insolvency framework and the proposed Cross-Border Insolvency Framework.
• The UNCITRAL Model Law has been adopted in as many as 44 countries and, therefore, forms part of international best practices in dealing with cross-border insolvency issues.
3) Consider the following statement about “Green Good Deed” movement.
I) It is an initiative of the Ministry of Earth Sciences
II) It was recently merged with the Harit Swasth Diwali campaign launched by the Ministry of Environment and Forest
Identify the correct statement/(s)
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 & 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
• It is an initiative of the Ministry of Environment and Forest
• It was recently merged with the Harit Swasth Diwali campaign launched by the Ministry of Environment and Forest
o This campaign was initiated in 2017-18 wherein a large number of school children especially from eco-clubs participated and took a pledge to minimize bursting of crackers and also discouraged the neighbourhood and their friends from bursting of crackers.
o During this intensive campaign, the children were advised to celebrate Diwali in an environment-friendly manner by gifting plant saplings to their relatives and friends.
• Green Good Deeds Campaign:
o Green Good Deeds, the societal movement launched by the Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, to protect the environment and promote good living in the country, has found acceptance by the global community.
o The campaign encourages individuals to take small positive actions to strengthen the cause of environmental protection.
4) Consider the following statements related to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
I) It is headquartered in Vienna, Austria
II) It was set up as the world’s “Atoms for Peace” organization in 1957 within the United Nations family.
Identify the incorrect statement(s)
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both I & 2
d) Neither I nor II
• The IAEA is the world’s centre for cooperation in the nuclear field.
• It was set up as the world’s “Atoms for Peace” organization in 1957 within the United Nations family.
• The Agency works with its Member States and multiple partners worldwide to promote the safe, secure and peaceful use of nuclear technologies.
• It seeks to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy and to inhibit its use for any military purpose, including nuclear weapons.
• IAEA reports to both the United Nations General Assembly and Security Council.
• The IAEA has its headquarters in Vienna, Austria.
• The IAEA serves as an intergovernmental forum for scientific and technical cooperation in the peaceful use of nuclear technology and nuclear power worldwide.
5) “Cope India” joint air exercise is conducted between India and
• India and US have agreed to elevate their bilateral ‘Cope India’ air exercise to trilateral format by including Japan. The next edition of this exercise is scheduled to be held in December 2018.
• It is series of international Air Force exercises between Indian Air Force (IAF) and United States Air Force conducted on and over Indian soil.
• The first such exercise was conducted at IAF air force station in Gwalior from February 2004.