1) Consider the following statements regarding the Azad Hind Government.
I) It originated in the 1940s within India with a purpose of allying with Axis powers to free India from British rule.
II) It was inspired by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose who was its leader and the head of state
Identify the correct options from the code below
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 & 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
• Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, would be hoisting the National flag and unveiling the plaque to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the formation of Azad Hind Government.
• The Azad Hind Government, founded on 21st October 1943 was inspired by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose who was the leader of Azad Hind Government and also the Head of State of this Provisional Indian Government-in-exile.
• It was a part of the freedom movement, originating in the 1940s outside India with a purpose of allying with Axis powers to free India from British rule.
• The existence of the Azad Hind Government gave a greater legitimacy to the independence struggle against the British.
• Pertinently, the role of Azad Hind Fauj or the Indian National Army (INA) had been crucial in bequeathing a much-needed impetus to India’s struggle for Independence.
2) Against the backdrop of #metoo movement, consider the following statements.
I) The Ministry of Women and Child Development has recently come out with a dedicated e-mail address to report instances of sexual harassment at workplace
II) The ministry will consider the complaints received on the mail so that appropriate action may be taken, as per law
Identify the incorrect statement/(s)
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 & 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
• The National Commission for Women has come out with a dedicated e-mail address to report instances of sexual harassment at workplace after several such complaints were made to the body by women who have narrated their ordeal under the ‘#Metoo’ movement on social media.
• The NCW, in a statement, said it has received formal written complaints from various women about instances of sexual harassment at their workplace.
• In light of the complaints received in the past few days, the National Commission for Women has decided to create a dedicated email ID to receive such complaints.
• The Commission urges women who have come forward on social media and other platforms about their alleged harassers to send their formal written complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The NCW will be taking forward complaints of sexual harassment at workplace received on the mail so that appropriate action may be taken, as per law.
3) Consider the following statement about the National Disaster Management Authority
I) It functions under the aegis of Ministry of Home Affairs
II) The Union Minister for Home Affairs is its ex-officio chairperson
III) It is responsible for framing policies, laying down guidelines and best-practices in coordination with the State Disaster Management Authorities
Choose the correct options from the codes below:
a) Only 3
b) Only 2 & 3
c) Only 1 & 3
d) 1, 2 & 3
• National Disaster Management Authority, abbreviated as NDMA is an agency of the Ministry of Home Affairs whose primary purpose is to coordinate response to natural or man-made disasters and for capacity-building in disaster resiliency and crisis response.
• NDMA was established through the Disaster Management Act enacted by the Government of India in May 30 2005.
• The Prime Minister is the ex-officio chairperson of the same.
• The agency is responsible for framing policies, laying down guidelines and best-practices and coordinating with the State Disaster Management Authorities (SDMAs) to ensure a holistic and distributed approach to disaster management.
• NDMA Vision:
o To build a safer and disaster resilient India by a holistic, pro-active, technology-driven and sustainable development strategy that involves all stakeholders and fosters a culture of prevention, preparedness and mitigation.
• Functions and responsibilities:
o Lay down policies on disaster management.
o Approve the National Plan.
o Approve plans prepared by the Ministries or Departments of the Government of India in accordance with the National Plan.
o Lay down guidelines to be followed by the State Authorities in drawing up the State Plan.
o Lay down guidelines to be followed by the different Ministries or Departments of the Government of India for the Purpose of integrating the measures for prevention of disaster or the mitigation of its effects in their development plans and projects.
o Coordinate the enforcement and implementation of the policy and plans for disaster management.
4) In a bid to replace streetlamps and reduce electricity costs in urban, which of the following countries is planning to launch its own ‘artificial moon’ by 2020?
• In a bid to replace streetlamps and reduce electricity costs in urban areas of the country, China is planning to launch its own ‘artificial moon’ by 2020.
• ‘Illumination satellites’ are being developed in Chengdu, a city in southwestern Sichuan province, which will be placed one in front of the other.
• The satellites will shine from the light of the real Moon but will be eight times brighter.
• The first man-made moon will launch from Xichang Satellite Launch Center in Sichuan, with three more to follow in 2022 if the first test goes well.
• The man-made moons could replace streetlamps in urban areas, which would save an estimated 1.2 billion yuan ($170 million) a year in electricity costs for Chengdu.
• The light can also be helpful in disaster zones during blackouts.
• China is not the first country which is trying to make artificial lights with the help of Sunlight.
• In the 1990s, Russian scientists reportedly used giant mirrors to reflect light from space in an experimental project called Znamya or Banner.
5) India will hold the first-ever joint military exercise ‘DHARMA GUARDIAN-2018’ with which among the following countries?
• To promote Military cooperation, India and Japan are all set to hold the first-ever joint military exercise ‘DHARMA GUARDIAN-2018’ involving the Indian Army and Japan Ground Self Defence Force at Counter Insurgency Warfare School.
• The Indian contingent will be represented by 6/1 GORKHA RIFLES while the Japanese contingent will be represented by 32 Infantry Regiment of the Japanese Ground Self Defence Force.
• During the 14 day long exercise, due emphasis will be laid on increasing interoperability between forces from both countries.
o Exercise ‘DHARMA GUARDIAN-2018’ will be yet another step in deepening strategic ties including closer defence cooperation between the two countries.
o It will contribute immensely in developing mutual understanding and respect for each other’s militaries and also facilitate tracking the worldwide phenomenon of terrorism.